Thursday 29 September 2011

Separation Anxiety?

Lol, no this post is not about any particular person, sorry if the title was a bit misleading :p. Recently, I spent nearly three weeks without my laptop. A shaky power cord port and the consequential absence of my "electronic bestie" (it was in the repair shop) kinda left  me to thinking. Lots of thinking  it, and about the most random yet purposeful things one could imagine.  "Hmmm, so this it's like without the ability to go on download sprees, blogging splurges, and life without connection to the rest of the world eh? . Oh, so this is what life was like before the massive word-wide conquering of the personal computer and world-wide web? What's the meaning of life? :O" ... What? I'm forced to spend five cents just to talk to a friend because I happen to live in a household where the phone is dominated (yes, LOL i said dominated) by the person who happens to pay that bill. But yeah, the absence of the main gadget in my life has made me realize that there is indeed a whole other life outside that which exists when one is tethered to a keyboard and computer screen.

During the three-week drought, I rediscovered the reason that I stopped watching television on a regular basis. Seriously!!! What is it with TV shows (especially basic cable) nowadays? Sister Wives? Dancing with the Stars? Wipeout? Come on now.... And I won't even talk about cartoon stations. The only redeemer is that Nickelodeon has started replaying the good ole' shows from time to time. Anything made after 2005, in my opinion is pure garbage...what ever happened to The Wild Thornberry's, Animorphs, Caitlin's Way, and Cousin Skeeter? Give me HGTV, Food Network, Discovery, USA, and whatever channel that is that plays Intervention and Hoarders, and I'm good.

After I grew bored with a few shows, I flicked on the rustic -looking radio that was usually kept on the top of the in the storage room and reserved for hurricanes -y'al know the one I mean. And Oh the joys of Bahamian radio! I was shocked of how every two seconds I rolled the FM dial, I would hear another voice...another station (like when did alla' this happen?) station after station...and still lol once Immediate Response and one or two other talk shows were over, radio was once again dryyy.

I scrimmaged though storage container after storage container of books and old magazines hoping to find a few good reads. Gad knows BTC made a whole heap a' money offa' me during that three-week stint. I so serious, I was experiencing symptoms of messenger withdrawal...like waking in a cold sweat at 1 AM to phantom IM sounds .."dun dun dun!!"

All jokes aside, I do really think that my break from the computer was pretty much a gift from above- No video streams, chatrooms, and social networks, ie. no distraction from myself. Am I free to interpret this as a sort of detoxification? What are your thoughts? Ever experienced an excruciatingly long spell of separation from a beloved electronic device? Ipod? Blackberry? Dell? Did it make you feel a little like I did- overly dependent?

No comments:

Post a Comment